How to drive in Iceland
Renting a Car
+ How do I rent a car?
Renting a car with us is a quick and easy process! Simply go to the "book a car" tab or click here. The first step is to choose a car that fits you and your trip. Next up we will ask you for some information about yourself. Simply fill in the empty fields and proceed to the checkout page.
If you encounter any problems while booking a car or using our payment gateway - please don't hesitate to contact us.
+ What documents will I need when I pick up the car?
The renter/driver of the car has to present a valid driver's license (does not have to be an international one) and a valid credit card.
+ Are all foreign licences included?
Geysirland accepts all foreign driver´s license as long as they are valid and can be read by our staff members (in english or at least with latin characters). If not make sure to bring an International Driver´s License/Translation.
+ How old do I have to be to rent a car?
The renter/driver shall be at least 20 years old, and shall have held a valid driver’s license for at least one year before the rental commences. The renter/driver of a specialty 4x4 / Luxury cars or a motor home shall be at least 25 years old and have held a valid driver’s license for at least one year before the rental commences. The renter/driver of a larger vehicle (over 3500 kg total weight or more than 8 passengers) shall be licensed accordingly.
+ What is included in the rental?
CDW = Collision Damage Waiver is included in all rentals. That sets the excess of the renter ISK 350.000. Prices include unlimited kilometres and 24% local Value Added Tax (VSK). Online payments carry no service charge. € 10 service charge is added to all fax-in, phone-in payments.
+ Is there a minimum rental period?
Minimum rental period is 48 hours.
+ Are there any hidden fees?
There are no hidden fees. The calculator on our website gives you the total amount you have to pay, including all extra cost and 24% local Value Added Tax. You can at any time add any extras such as extra insurance or GPS before or when picking up the car.
+ Can I be sure that the selected vehicle is available?
If the vehicle you selected during the reservation is unavailable during pick up we will supply you with a similar model. We always guarantee the same, or higher, category. We however do not guarentee the brand and model.
+ How many bags do I fit in my rental car?
It really depends on the car you are renting. The golden rule is that if you are renting the smallest option you can fit 2-3 medium sized luggages, medium sized options carry 3-4 luggages and the larger options carry 4-5 luggages. This of course also depends on the size and shape of the luggages.
Keep in mind that when you rent a 7 seated vehicle and you have 7 passangers the luggage space is a lot lesser so you only fit around 2-3 medium sized luggages depending on the size of the rental car.
Our 9 seated options however fit 8 luggages – no matter how many passangers!
For more informations and pictures of the rental cars and the luggage space for estimation click here.
+ What happens if the car breaks down?
We have a very ambitious Road Side Assistance team that is available 24/7. If you have any problems with the car you can contact the roadside assistance team and they will find a solution to your problems. Their number will always be on your contract.
+ What happens if I have a collision?
In the event of a collision or accident, the renter shall immediately notify the appropriate police authorities as well as Geysirland of the incident. The renter may not leave the scene before the police have arrived or an accident report has been filled out. The renter is obligated to report any damages to the car to Geysirland, regardless of any collision damage waivers (CDW / SCDW / ZE) assigned to the rental.
+ Am I allowed to drive on F-roads?
You may not drive on mountain or highland roads, or roads marked “F” on a map or a road sign, including Kjölur (road 35), Kaldidalur (road 550) and Sprengisandur (road 26) routes, unless the car is a 4 wheel drive or all wheel drive (4x4), intended and accepted for such use by Geysirland. The renter/driver may not drive the car where prohibited by law, i.e. off beaten tracks or marked roads, in unmarked paths or tracks, on beaches or other sandy areas, or any other trackless areas. Damage incurred while crossing rivers or large streams will not be covered by any insurance so any river crossing should be done with extreme caution. When planning a trip to Iceland we highly recommend planning your trip in advance and check out the road conditions before you set off. Up to date information about road conditions can be found here: road.is
+ Do you offer studded tires or snow chains?
Most of our rental cars are equipped with studded winter tires from 1st of November until 15th. of April each year. Studded tires are not allowed on a different period according to Icelandic laws and regulation.
Snow chains are not allowed in Iceland on normal cars as they damage the paved roads and are not needed.
+ Do the cars have USB / AUX / Bluetooth
All our cars are new models and most of them are equipped with USB and AUX ports as well as Bluetooth system. For more informations please contact us.
+ I don't trust online card payments ...
We use a PCI certified payment provider to process your card payment over an encrypted and secure connection. No one within our company even gets to see your card details, and they are not at any time stored in our systems as they get sent directly to the payment provider in a separate encrypted transmission. Once approved the provider gives sends us a transaction id for us to keep along with the four last digits of your card number for your reference. Full card details are never, ever stored in any of our systems, so in the unlikely event that we were to experience a security breach there would be nothing of value for anyone there. Our payment provider does, as per our terms and conditions, store account details for us in case we need to request coverage for post rental incidental cost.
+ My card keeps getting rejected, What can I do?
Our payment gateway will only tell us that the card was approved or declined, for security reasons it never reveals more information. The first thing you may want to check is the obvious; "are all my card details entered correctly". If you bank outside of Iceland you may want to check if your bank has an upper limit on transactions outside your banking country and temporarily raise that for the rental payment. Your bank may also impose a general upper limit on your card for a given time period even if your card has the funds to cover the rental.
+ What is not covered by my basic insurance?
- Intentional damages or damages caused by gross negligence on the part of the renter.
- Damages resulting from the driver being under the influence of controlled or illegal substances, or in any other way being unable to operate the vehicle in a safe manner.
- Damages occurred by a race or test driving.
- Damages occurred by war, revolution, civil unrest, or riots.
- Damages caused by animals.
- Holes and marks burned into seats, carpets, or mats.
- Damages affecting only wheels, tires, suspension, batteries, glass (other than windows), radios, or loss by theft of parts of the vehicle and damage resulting from this.
- Damages caused by driving on rough roads, e.g. to the transmission, the drive or drive shaft, and other parts in or attached to the chassis. Damages to the chassis, or any part of the car, resulting from the vehicle scraping bottom on rough roads. The same applies to damages occurring when stones are thrown up, striking the underside of the car while being driven. The underside of the car is not insured.
- Damages resulting from driving in places where driving is banned, such as paths, tracks, banks of snow, ice, unbridged rivers or streams, beaches, places only accessible at low tide, or other trackless areas. The car is not insured when crossing rivers or driving in water of any kind. River crossing must be done with extreme care.
- Damages to the car caused by driving on mountain roads and roads marked F on a map or a road sign, including Kjölur (road 35), Kaldidalur (road 550) and Sprengisandur (road 26) routes. (This does not extend to 4wd and all wheel drive cars accepted by Geysir for use on mountain roads – approved cars are insured on all marked roads and tracks).
- Water damages to the car, its electrical system, accessories or engine.
- Damages caused by sand, gravel, ash, pumice, or other kind of earth material being blown onto the vehicle.
- No compensation will be paid for damage caused by sea spray/seawater, if the vehicle is transported by sea.
- Reference is made to the general conditions for accident insurance (Icelandic: kaskótrygging) as set by TM insurance company at www.tm.is
+ What are your opening hours?
We offer 24/7 service at the Keflavik International Airport. During the winter season our office is open from 04:00 - 18:00 but don't worry if you are arriving after hours. Just be sure to make your booking at the expected arrival and return time and supply us with your flight number so we know when to expect you and we'll be at the office to hand you the car when you arrive.